The old public baths and washhouse in Bethnal Green was built in 1898 to provide baths for washing both bodies and clothes. The architect, R. Stephen Ayling, specialised in social works such as hostels, abbatoirs and public conveniences. His design was praised at the time for providing space for prams, "in which the washers usually bring their linen. In most of the London baths this been omitted, with the result that the waiting halls are often impassable."
The separate entrances for men and women are signed by scrolls held by elegant cherubs.
The place was converted into flats and a boxing club in 1999.